It’s September, which means the long-awaited Terraria 1.4.4 Labor of Love update is finally almost upon us. Terraria developer Re-Logic has long been known to claim that its updates to one of the best crafting games are the ‘final update’, and Labor of Love follows on from two previous such final updates – Journey’s End and Journey’s Actual End. Labor of Love is presented primarily as a quality of life and balance update, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t new items – and the many changes give more than enough reasons to return to one of the best sandbox games on PC time and time again.
We’ve compiled all the new additions and tweaks into one handy list for your perusal below, but we’ll start by detailing a few of the biggest changes you can expect in Terraria 1.4.4. First, your Terraria inventory size needs a huge upgrade as the stack limit for most items in the game jumps from 999 to a whopping 9999. The Void Bag rework causes the special bag to function as basically another inventory that can be opened at will, and the addition of Terraria loadout gear means you can switch between different gear settings on the fly.
Meanwhile, fans sick of having to go through extensive prep and maintenance to save their jungle from being destroyed by evil biome corruption will be overjoyed to know that the addition of Infected Mudgrass means your jungle biome will never again be turned into dirt and a new potion Biome Sighta will make picking out those pesky evil nodes and clearing them much easier. One of Terraria’s strongest endgame additions is also getting some favor – though it’s left fans a bit divided about its usefulness. Additionally, the new Rubblemaker and Coatings seem to add massive customization potential for builders.
Terraria 1.4.4 Labor of Love Update Release Date and Crossplay Details
The Terraria 1.4.4 update is scheduled to be released on September 28th. The update is also planned to be the first simultaneous release across all platforms. While there is still no cross-platform play in Terraria, the team has stated in the past that this is something they would like to implement once feature parity is achieved between the PC, console, and mobile versions of the game. So it seems that Labor of Love could pave the way for such an update in the future.
New items and additions in Terraria 1.4.4 Labor of Love update
- Gear loads allow up to three separate sets of gear to be saved, including different items for each load.
- Overhaul Void Bag – can be opened and closed, and acts as another inventory.
- The new Rubblemaker item can be used to place over 200 different background objects using basic resources such as sand and rock.
- Infested Mud Grass – now means that mud blocks in the jungle will no longer turn to dirt if captured by an evil biome, and can be returned later.
- More new pets, including the Splendid Dessert item that summons a King and Queen Slime combo pet.
- The Caveling Farmer pet is introduced as a permanent crossover with the Core Keeper which in turn sees the Slime King heading towards the Core Keeper.
- New Lilith’s Necklace add-on that turns the player into a wolf.
- The new Biome Sight potion highlights evil blocks.
- Echo Coating can be applied to furniture, blocks and walls to make them invisible. A new placeable item can be activated to spawn items and blocks with Echo Coating.
- A new set of coral themed blocks, walls and furniture.
- Glowing Moss in multiple colors that can be crafted into Glowing Moss Bricks.
- New bread, wood type and liquid type.
- City Slimes can now be found in the Zoolog, with 8 different designs.
- Two new tropical birds called Araras now spawn in the jungle biome.
- A total of 17 creatures have been added (including the ten listed above).
- Added new death messages.
- Life Crystals and Mana Stars can now be placed in the world
- A new star-shaped bobber for fishing.
- The currently equipped lure is now displayed by the player’s cursor when fishing.
- Added menu option to disable quick trash feature.
- Locked chests can be crafted by combining shadow chests and chain.
- New images, including lead developer Redigit’s profile picture and artwork created by Terraria fans during the r/place project.
- Classic bricks with 1:1 sprites.
- A new item, Flymeal, that can be used to unstick NPCs.
- Cubic Blocks (crafted on a toilet with a well-fed buff) – this is a particular favorite of Redigto’s lead developer, who is pushed for it Long time.
- A new cart called Fart Kart, a giant toilet cart that plays fart sounds.
- Added several new secret seeds. The ‘Everything’ seed sounds like it will contain parts of every secret seed, creating an extra difficult challenge with lots of traps, while ‘Upside Down’ suggests an upside down world. Lead Developer Redigit has described one of them as his “magnum opus” and “something special for the brave hearts”.
- Changes have been made to the ‘celebrationmk10’ seed.
- New music and achievements.
Changes and balance tweaks in Terraria 1.4.4 Labor of Love update
- Classic mode has replaced Journey mode as the default difficulty setting for the new character.
- Player inventory stack size increased to 9999 for almost every item.
- The rope now goes behind the minecart platforms and rails.
- Heart lanterns and banners can now be hung from platforms.
- The maximum player power-up limit has been increased.
- Enhanced effects (Sharpened, Clairvoyance, Ammo Box, and Bewitched) now last until death. War Table now gives a buff increasing the maximum number of guards.
- Watch duration increased from 2 to 10 minutes.
- The bestiary includes 17 new entries and you can now see the number of enemy kills.
- The waiting time between rounds in Old One’s Army is now skippable, and Defender Medal purchase prices have been reduced in price by 33-40%.
- Digging Moleccar is now easier to get early.
- The Spelunker potion now causes paintings and statues to glow.
- All accessories can now be equipped in accessory slots (this reverts a previous change made in 184.108.40.206).
- Metal detectors will now spot gelatin crystals.
- Ankh Shield now contains a pocket mirror.
- Added more new ways to get Sandstorm in a Bottle.
- The hive pack now increases the rate of fire of the Hornet minion and increases the damage and armor penetration of the Wasp Gun.
- The cell phone and the bundle of balloons are now materials.
- The drop rate of rare pirate items has been doubled.
- Flying Dutchman drops are now up to 10x more common and defeating one will always guarantee a golden piece of furniture.
- Moss Hornets can now drop stingers.
- Rework for True Excalibur, True Night’s Edge and Terra Blade.
- Buffs for Dark Lance, Frostbrand, Flairon, Scourge of the Corruptor, Star Wraith, and Lunar Portal Staff.
- The duration of the Rainbow Gun, Nimbus Rod and Clinger Rod has been increased.
- The spawning conditions for the Snow Flinx have been changed.
- Plantera Bulb now spawns immediately after defeating all three mechanical bosses.
- The Golem boss is smooth.
- The Clown enemy that appears during the Blood Moon has been improved.
- Illuminant Paint is now Illuminant Coating and can be applied on top of paint.
- Glowing mushrooms will now emit light of the color they were painted with.
- Terrariums are now stackable.
- Character selection now shows your current pet.
- Added a new name for the cat ‘Tula’ and a new name for the dog ‘Pete’.
- Players can replace their current pet by purchasing another pet.
- Bast Statues can now spawn in desert huts as well as chests.
- The angel statue now has a mysterious, as yet unspecified use.
- Fishing now has a chance to give additional furniture loot – the odds of this will increase as you complete more quests for them.
- The /Death command shows your total number of deaths in the world.
- The scope for the rifle now increases the range of the Clentaminator.
- The drill containment unit now blasts and destroys back walls faster.
- Celestial Sigil now takes 12 of each fragment to craft instead of 20 and takes 12 seconds from activation to spawn in Moon Lord instead of 60 seconds.
We’re pretty sure that’s all that’s been announced for Labor of Love – but if you spot something we’re missing, feel free to let us know!
If you still need something to freshen up your game while you wait for 1.4.4 to arrive, why not check out the best Terraria mods? If you’d rather get some inspiration for your base, this stunning 3D Terraria version looks like a completely different game. We also have the best co-op games on PC if you’re looking for more games to play with your friends.