The League of Legends Syndra mid-range update has hit the PBE, introducing a new passive, tweaking Dark Spheres slightly, and adding execution to her ultimate. With the mid-lane mage not seeing much play in Riot’s MOBA lately, these changes could be enough to bring Dark Sovereign back into the target.
The changes to Syndra currently live on the PBE are numerous, and while they don’t change the general playstyle of the mage, they will affect how players go about their jobs in the early game. The new passive ability alone means that pushing to hit combos on your opponent will pay dividends and allow you to snowball much more easily than before.
- Syndra collects up to 120 Splinters by damaging enemy champions and gaining levels. Splinters of Wrath enhances Syndra and her abilities
- Syndra restores 20-215 (level 1-18) mana whenever she collects a shard from an enemy. She can get Splinters through:
- Damaging an enemy champion with two abilities within four seconds will give Splinters (1/2/3 at levels 1, 11, and 18) an eight second cooldown per target.
- Leveling up gives Syndra five Splinters of Wrath
- Killing a cannon minion grants one Splinter of Wrath
- At 120 Splinters, Syndra gains 15% of total AP
dark sphere (Q)
- Cooldown: 4s > 7s
- Mana Cost: 40/50/60/70/80 > 40/45/50/55/60
- Sphere Duration: 6s > 6.5s
- At 40 Splinters of Wrath, the Dark Sphere can store two charges
- Sphere lift radius: 400 > 450
- Prevents non-sphere units from dying for a short period when picked up
- At 60 Splinters of Wrath, For of Will deals an additional 15% (+1.5% per 100 AP) true damage
Scatter the weak (E)
- Magic Damage: 85-265 (+60% AP) > 75-235 (+55% AP)
- Beam angle: 34 degrees > 56 degrees
- Cooldown: 18-14s > 15s
- Stun Duration: 1.5s > 1.25s
- At 80 Splinters of Wrath, Scatter the Weak’s cone increases from 56 degrees to 84 degrees and also slows enemies by 70% for 1.25s (applies after initial CC)
Released Power (R)
- Gives Dark Sphere an additional 10/20/30 ability speed
- Damage per sphere: 90/140/190 (+20% AP) > 90/130/170 (+17% AP)
- At 100 Splinters of Wrath, Unleashed Power executes champions before 15% Mac health
While nothing but Syndra’s passive has been fundamentally changed, these changes to her kit reward players in different ways than before. Since players will get Splinters of Wrath by hitting combos on opponents, and those Splinters are directly tied to Syndra’s power, it now pays to be aggressive in lane. It’s almost like Kai’s evolved abilities, only instead of buying items to update your kit, you throw balls at the opposing team.
The damage reduction on Syndra’s ultimate can be disappointing at first, but once you hit 100 Splinters and get that execution, it could potentially be a lot more powerful than before – especially on tank targets.
The changes are currently available on the PBE and are subject to change, but the kit seems to be pretty well put together in its current state – we’ll update this article if anything changes before the official release. For the latest live Rift additions, you should check out the League of Legends 12.18 patch notes. If this Syndra rework has piqued your interest and you want to start your Rift journey, this guide on how to play League of Legends will give you the edge you need.